Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Would you like to join me for some fine champagne?

This weekend was awesome! AWESOME! My boyfriend and I went up to the family cabin with intentions of biking lots, hiking lots, kayaking lots and running lots. Oh and maybe even a dip in the lake. OK, maybe it was just me with intentions of doing all that. Really, who can fit in that many activities in ONE weekend? My boyfriend's only goal was to get one hike in and lots of rest. Or so I thought...

So Saturday, we spent the morning putting our bikes together and fiddling around with them. I think we were both nervously stalling. You know, like this...
ME: Are you ready?
AF: Yah sure I'm ready if you're ready.
ME: You go first.
AF: No, you go first.
ME: No, you!
AF: Are you ready?
ME: Yah, I'm ready.
AF: Let's go already!!!
ME: OK, um sure.
AF: Oh wait, I think I need to adjust my seat.
ME: Oh ok. I'm going to change my shoes...
We pushed our bikes up the super steep driveway and realize that the smooth, beautiful road is REALLY STEEP!

Running the hills is much easier than pedaling up these hills! HOLY SHIT! We rode around till it wasn't fun anymore. We swore more than ride. Really it's just oh, the first 10 hills you have to get over then it's smooth sailing and then there's more hills. They aren't small hills either. They are BIG! Such noobs! What babies! Everything is HUGE when you're new on a bike. I generally have no fear. I just don't think that way. But two stupid meetings over 10 years ago between my bike and two different cars in one week has got it stuck in me that bikes are a bit scary. I know I'll get over it, it will just take a little bit of time. NO FEAR!

We abandon the idea of riding out to Garden Bay to get a few things for breakfast from the general store. Instead we run to the comfort of our motorized vehicle. Roll down the windows and let the wind blow in our hair... and (ahem) dry off our sweat. Of course we laugh at ourselves on our great adventure. We will have to try again next time. heheh

We finish breakfast, pack lunches and head out for our hike. My boyfriend had been super stoked for this hike all week. He talked about how his family often did this hike up Mount Daniel when they were kids. He was SUPER STOKED.

Let me tell you something about AF. We are COMPLETE opposites. I run run run a-run run run and he sits. I get up at 5 or 6 a.m. and he sleeps in till past 10 a.m. and if I don't bother him he will sleep till 1 p.m. In my world he's lazy, in his world I'm crazy. If there's a mountain, I say, "Let's go climb it!" He'll say, "Nah, let's go home and take a nap." It's perfect. If I'm doing a very long run, he'll wake up just in time to pick me up. Or if it's a shorter run. He'll be up just in time to go for coffee. So I was really happy about going on a hike! TOGETHER!! I thought that maybe he had come around to my side. He LIKES hiking!

Anyway... we make it up to the top of Mount Daniel! (about 45 minutes). Look at the view!
Here in this picture I'm lying on a rock looking over Garden Bay and Pender Harbour. This is where AF says, "Let's take pictures!" So, I tell AF to take a picture and to try make it look like I'm lying dangerously at the edge of a cliff. Dangerous! He takes a few pictures and tells me to turn around so that he can take more pictures of me facing the camera with the view in the background. I turned around but I don't see the camera. It looks like he's kneeling to take a picture of me. But he's not taking a picture of me. Instead AF's got a silver bell in his hand and I think to myself, "Is that a silver bear bell? Why is he showing me a silver bear bell? Where is the camera? Why is the bear bell silver? Is it a bell?" AF's got a big smile on his face. I'm still thinking about the bear bell, wondering where the camera went and wondering in general. WHAT. IS. UP?

AF opens up the silver bell and says, "Winnie, will you marry me?" so then the light bulb finally turns on and I scream, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!" He was down on one knee holding out a silver Birks Silver Bell Box not a bear bell!!! I didn't fall off Mount Daniel but I did start crying and laughing at the same time. I said, "Yes!" Of course, only because I was there on the edge of a dangerous cliff!

To top it all off, AF snuck up a bottle fine champagne to celebrate. AF is so wonderful. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love the way that you tell this story!!! I wish nothing but the best for you two!!!

    ReplyDelete